If you want to write a definition essay that will be lengthy and precise, you should choose a complex concept for a research. A simple word with a defined meaning will add nothing to the structure, and will only clutter the paragraphs with useless phrases.
Instead, try something that has not been investigated before and therefore will attract attention of the target audience. It can be an abstract notion that you are well aware of, like the word “sleep”. If you pick “bed”, on the other hand, your choice of supporting adjectives will be considerably smaller.
Also, you should ensure the word you choose for a research is argumentative. This means it has more than one meaning and can relate to different objects at the same time. If the term is disputable, you can easily play with its definition and synonyms, and thus, create a legitimate thesis statement.
If, on the contrary, the term is the one we use every day and the answer you receive after reading is the same, it may indicate the lack of creativity. In addition, we strongly suggest words with familiar definitions. You can easily lose yourself in the terms and find it hard to investigate the concept.
Dictionary definitions and origins
Though it is understood that dictionary definition is not the universal lifesaver for students, who strive to finish their essays, it will provide you with the simplest and most precise meaning of a word. It can serve as a helper when you start to research your concept and is widely considered to be the initial step any time you decide to create a definition essay.
You can rely on etymology as well. By studying the origins of the said word, you allow yourself to plunge deeper into the understanding of the concept and how it evolved to be the one we know today. In addition, you receive extra information on the scientific level, which can be helpful if your teacher is too harsh with the requirements. By applying different sources, you study the story behind each word and manage to get a full insight on how the origins affect the current meaning.
Stages of a definition essay
In order to create an authentic definition essay, you should follow the steps, listed below:
- Create an analysis. By defining the word, we give our readers a clue on further research. By providing in-depth analysis, we separate the words into parts, thus indicating their importance on a general level. Keep in mind that background information should be relevant and don’t underestimate the power of a good structure.
- Provide classification. Though looking the word up in the dictionary may seem like a general practice and can’t surprise anyone, one will still use this methodic occasionally. Despite being dry and unemotional, some dictionary definitions assist the reader with further understanding of the concept.
- Compare the term. In order to make the writing process easier, you can compare the terms you know with the unfamiliar phrases. This way, you will ensure that readers follow your thinking and receive sufficient information on the concept.
- Personalize the word. Even the most common terms can be described in an unusual way. If you are talking about the word “home”, provide several meanings, including the general definition and the secondary meaning to make your essay livelier.
- Illustrate the concept. People tend to associate words with personal experience. By telling a story, you make sure you create a picture in your reader’s imagination, which helps them remember the term and relate to it later, when the conclusion is made.
It might be interesting for you
- The best student cities in the world
- Successful in Education doesn’t Equal Successful in Life
- How to Improve Presentation and Public Speaking Skills?
- Studying art in Denmark will make your artistic future better
- Reaction Paper
- Important things you should consider before making decision about college
- Dissertation Introduction
- Studying Modern Languages: Current Perspectives and Opportunities