Do you want to learn how to write an essay on a book? Nowadays, such type of work is widespread both in schools and universities. At first glance, this assignment seems difficult, but it’s not completely true! Once you get all your thoughts organized, it can be a really easy and even interesting task. There are useful tips which will help you to write an essay on a book of the high and perfect quality. When it comes to the process of constructing of essay, just follow all these tips and you will succeed.
Here are the basic writing steps:
It is time to select the right book, well it’s understandable. It might be done for you, if you are the student of the literature class. If not, then choose the book that is really interesting for you and which is already read.
Determine the exact length of the text. Keep in mind that the essay on some book has precisely defined number of words. A 500-words paper is enough to describe the plot of the story and reveal main themes.
Pick up a format and style. MLA (Modern Language Association) and APA (American Psychological Association) are the most used and suitable standards of writing.
Read the chosen book. Here you have to be familiar with the themes that are within the story. In particular, attention is drawn to the homogeneity of the tone of the content throughout the text, which can be fun, cognitive or instructive.
Ask to such questions as:
- What are the main themes of the text? Note, it is not about a plot; in this case we’re talking about the themes. It means things like revenge, love, power, death, freedom, war etc. Make a list of them and choose one or two themes to work with.
- In order to give the answers to the following questions, you have to use much information from the book, which will lead you to the best theme statement. Using themes you’ve chosen, answer to these questions, plot of the book will help you.
- What are the reasons of the chosen themes subject in this story?
- What the author wanted to convey to us through these themes?
- Are these themes instructive to the readers?
- Reinforce all these answers with the examples from the story!
The process of writing is not so difficult and even a little bit exciting. The first paragraph consists of five-six sentences, no more. In the first sentence you will tells us about the book and its author.
The second, third and fourth sentences give us the little background on the storyline and then the fifth sentence concludes the first paragraph, but provides a smooth transition to the second paragraph.
Open the second paragraph with a quote from the book, which thematically appropriate. Let all your ideas rely on the selected quote. Engage your readers with your view on the book and what you’ve learned.
Of course, all these tips are great but more successful way is writing essay with the soul. If you like the book, you will write about it with a great pleasure and enthusiasm and these positive emotions will definitely be passed to the reader.