Literature is an art form or a form of written works. It may be considered in different shapes, for example: communication, writing, a part of culture and a branch of knowledge.
Literature may be fiction or non-fiction, poetry or prose depending on the classification types. It includes genres that make up fiction and nonfiction categories. Most popular fiction genres are drama, poetry, fantasy, fable, horror, realistic fiction, science fiction and others. And genres that fall under nonfiction category are essay, biography, narrative or speech.
Literature as Academic Discipline
As a subject, literature was taught in most schools and universities for many years. Now literary studies is a well-known discipline that makes students be interested in literature, books and writing literary works.
When studying literature at college or university, students examine and analyze literary works, use different techniques in both writing and editing, and gain experience in translating various texts.
After completing a program in literature, every student is able to:
- develop cross-cultural research, communicative, analytical and creative skills;
- be acquainted with literature from European, Latin American, African and Asian countries;
- make opinion on what they read and describe it in essays;
- see the connection between world history and literature as a part of culture;
- conduct research in literary studies and critically analyze any types of texts;
- learn foreign languages by reading books in original;
- broaden their minds and have a wide outlook.
How to write Literary Essays:
In order to create a critical essay about literature, take notice of the following steps:
- Search and select appropriate literature.
Find plenty of academic sources such as books, encyclopedias, journals, web resources, examine them carefully and choose the most reliable ones.
- Read the sources and take notes.
Read your sources thoroughly and write out suitable arguments for your essay.
- Start planning.
After evaluating the sources, collect information, divide it into parts, and create the main idea of your essay.
- Determine the right structure.
1) In introduction state the main purpose of an essay and a thesis statement.
2) In main body expand the topic, write an argument and its explanation. The body has two parts: summary to refresh the memory of the text and criticism (analysis) to prove the argument and support it with examples.
3) Conclusion - a summary of the main points and your own opinion.
Literature may offer great opportunities to gain knowledge, update writing practice and become more intelligent and communicative.