Being at college or university all students at least once have to prepare a project report. The project report is a special academic paper in which you not only describe and present your solution to the project problem, but also talk about methods and other things you used to find the answer. A good mark for any project can’t be got without the excellent report; it is a crucial point if you want to reach success.
You need to understand that the report will be read by examiners and only one of them – your supervisor, will know the main points of the problem you describe. For that reason all work you have experienced and knowledge you have gained must be written down. Examiners assess the report according to various criteria and fill in a mark form. It is advisable for you to look through it, as after that you will have an idea what aspects of the report are essential and significant
The List of Top Points for Project Report Writing
Well written report is a result of painstaking work, but not all students understand how hard it is. We offer several points that will show you in what way you should move during your writing process.
- Be precise. During writing the report you should be careful with words you use. You may know what you mean, but other people don’t. You choose right words to share your opinions with them and avoid any sort of misunderstandings.
- Don’t make your project report humdrum. You may ask how it is possible to make such a formal and uncreative type of academic paper more forceful. First of all, prefer short words and sentences, because, as we know, brevity is the soul of wit. Use simple and clear constructions. If you deal with technical writing, don’t use sentences like “We did…”, passive voice and “I” sentences are more preferable. You should also be careful with Latin phrases too.
- Follow the formal requirements. You have to take care of this side of your report, as examiners pay attention to it. If you don’t meet some requirement, it won’t be a catastrophe, but the overall impression will be spoiled. Pay attention to pagination, fonts, spacing and margins, number of pages and so on. All necessary recommendations you can find in the handbook for students.
- Make your report illustrated. Create and add illustrations when they are required. The main thing in illustrations is to help readers understand some piece of information. You shouldn’t abuse diagrams and figures, and if they are really needed, then use special graphics programs.
- Structure. Usually the structure of the project report may be divided into two parts – top lever and lower level. In general, you have to organize the report as follows:
- Abstract (not big piece of writing, just a few paragraphs, where you give a very brief version of the report, written in an understandable way for those who see the text for the first time).
- Introduction (here you cover the main concepts and ideas of the whole work).
- Previous work (you can focus on work previously done by other researchers)
- Chapters dedicated to the direct process of doing the project (the biggest part of the paper, you explain the logic and methods of your research, give detailed descriptions).
- Results and further work (it includes new data collected by you in previous chapters; you analyze the information and offer new possible ways for future development).
- Conclusions (it has something in common with the abstract; you give final recommendations based on the results of the project).
- References and appendices (use only relevant sources as references and adhere to the standards for citing).
- Revision. Don’t hurry and be patient. If you have an opportunity and the project report may be read by someone who is more experienced, it is great news. In this case fresh eyes can see mistakes and weaknesses you didn’t notice. Forget about the report for some days, and after that proofread it again.
It might be interesting for you
- Successful in Education doesn’t Equal Successful in Life
- The best student cities in the world
- Why you put off studying until the last minute and how to deal with it
- Save money for the weekend. Perfect strategies
- Welfare economics
- Cheerful and cheap recipes for students
- Discover 8 ways to side-hustle online
- Five cities in Europe with free MA