If we are talking about the general definition of a narrative essay, it would be suffice to say it is divided into two components: the main story and the personal narrative. Basically, any narrative essay evolves around the concept or an issue, and your experience within that issue is considered valuable.
A narrative essay has nothing to do with the research semantics and the scientific findings. All you have to do is incorporate your personal feelings into the narrative and transform them into the structure that grabs the reader’s attention immediately. To do this, many famous writers started their stories with an unpredictable twist or an intrigue that kept the target audience hooked.
Narrative essays are a popular part of the academia, as they allow the teacher to evaluate you as a story-teller and suggest the level of communication that is emotionally creative. By connecting to something in your life, you are able to render emotions and present yourself as a thinking individual, regardless of the topic.
The plot of the narrative essay
Choose a plot that you can handle and that is manageable in terms of creative writing. It should also be argumentative, as you have to present something that will keep the target audience on the edge of their seats. Use the luminous details and describe the setting. Imagine you are writing a novel, but omit the unnecessary details. If you have a word limit that does not allow you to tell the whole story, pick the key elements and incorporate them into the narrative.
You don’t have to be specific about the names and dates, if you want some privacy in the narrative essay. On the other hand, your topic should not be too broad. For example, if you wish to tell us about a perfect vacation, you don’t have to describe the entire summer. Highlight the most mind-blowing episodes and present them to the public. This way, your essay will become more personalized.
Also, be careful with using other people’s names and biographies while writing a narrative essay. Mentioning your roommate and their neighbors would be an honor, no doubt, but you also have to take care of the readers, who will undoubtedly scratch their heads when you finally come to the end of the list. Be specific, yet do not reveal too much information that may be considered informal or provocative for the audience.
Describing the setting
When you write a narrative essay that has to be presented to the class later, you have to remember about the setting that keeps the story going. For example, you know that the first scene is going to take place in the mundane town somewhere in North Carolina. But even the dullest places can spark like stars if you apply the right method. Do not concentrate on the esthetics. Instead, give your readers something that catches their attention.
- Personal details. You may describe the character’s wardrobe, but that would be too predictable for a start. The character loves spaghetti and has the habit of staining her dress every time she is out? Now, that gives us something.
- Protagonists. You may have several characters in your plot line, but make sure they relate to one another and do not resemble Balzac’s “Human Comedy”, where you have to make a table to distinguish one character from another.
- People love a good narration and the feelings that resonate with them. Are you describing your grandmother’s house? Tell us about the homeliness of the place, the fireplace and the food, and we will most certainly fall for your narrative and style.
- Perspectives. Some writers have the habit of switching perspectives once they are done with the original story. If you are new to the world of narrative essays, however, do not use the third tense, unless it is necessary for the story and the plot. It’s better to keep in one line while writing and follow the teacher’s requirements if there are restrictions as to the number of words and the use of tenses.
It might be interesting for you
- Thesis Proposal
- How to Pay for College by Playing Games
- John Lennon`s Educational Tour Bus
- How to Write a Narrative Essay?
- Statistics Project
- Cool internships: unusual positions, exiting assignments and unforgettable experience
- Tips on how to have a healthy and deep sleep during your exam period
- Essay On Marketing