There are no doubts that almost all of us have faced with persuasive essay or at least have heard about it, but let us remember what it is. Nowadays two terms are typically used – persuasive essay or argument essay. No matter which one you prefer, because the meaning is the same.
It is a type of essay which is aimed to convince readers of some idea or view point. The author persuades his/her target audience by means of logic, facts and arguments, gives examples and explanations. Writing of persuasive essays is a good practice both for school and college students. In this way they learn and get necessary skills how to express their own opinions and defend their point of view.
Helpful Tips to Succeed in Persuasive Essay Writing
- Clearly and persuasively show your point of view. It’s one of the most important things for such essay. No playing for two teams and vague statements, remember it! Create powerful and bright thesis statement. Besides, try to begin paragraphs of your essay with a strong topic sentence, it’s something familiar to the thesis statement in miniature.
- Combine your arguments with facts and references. This is the rule if you want to make your essay meaningful and valid. You should remember that a proper order of material presentation is a good method to influence reads and make them interested. Try to talk about the evidence and then slowly go to your main arguments. In general, parts of your writing are expected to be interrelated and logically built; otherwise it would be hard to understand the way your mind works.
- Avoid complicated writing. First of all, we are talking about syntax. In this particular case long sentences with many points are enemies of easy understanding, as readers may get lost in your syntax thickets.
- Don’t forget about persuasion techniques. There is always place for good old persuasion. The art of persuasion has been known from ancient times. Greeks and Latins were amazing masters, and you can follow their example. Repetition, quotation of socially important texts, attention to the worst aspects of the problem, and it’s far from being the full list of instruments you can use.
- Choose a good tone and refute the arguments of opponents. In order to sound as an expert, you need to be authoritative and trustworthy. Assert your thoughts and no indecisive tone! You should focus not only on your own arguments, but also say at least a few words about opposite arguments and disprove them.
- Read carefully your prompts. Assignments for persuasive essays almost always include prompts and key information for writing your paper. Whether direct instructions are included or not, look at language or consult your instructor.
- Explore the rhetorical situation. It consists of five crucial points – the text (your essay), the author (you), the audience (whom you will present the text), the purpose and the setting. It's not difficult to understand that the purpose is to impact readers and convince them your point of view is right. The setting is the most variable, but quite often it is a classroom assignment.
- Check your evidences. Detailed prewriting preparations are extremely important, that’s why you have to generate as many as possible ideas and choose the best ones. At this stage you think both of the most compelling evidences and possible counterarguments.
- Write the essay according to the format. The elements of the persuasive essay are the following: introduction, body and conclusion. In the introduction you have to catch the audience with the “hook” and introduce your thesis statement. The main body should cover three fifths of the whole text. Divide the body according to the principle “one paragraph – one idea and evidence to support it.” In this part counterpoints should be refuted. The conclusion is where you sums up everything and repeat the brightest points.
- Revision. The process of revising has several phases. You have to proofread the essay after writing and check it for any mistakes. Then leave your essay and in one-two days look it over with fresh eyes.
It might be interesting for you
- Methods That Will Help to Cope With the Tiresome Procedure of Creating a Think Piece
- Pay Later
- Medical School Admissions Essay
- Elaborate your correct responding to make an interview successful
- Essay On College Application
- Literature Studies: Read a Lot, Write a Lot
- Dissertation Conclusion
- Literature Review