Tips on Writing Such Type of Essay
- The writing of analytical essay is not an easy task, so that you need to be well-organized and know what your conclusion is going to be about. Such strategy will help you to write coherent and cohesive essay with less efforts;
- The majority of essays should be written in present tense, and this type of essay too;
- Do not use first person pronoun too often, but use passive voice instead;
- Write in formal style and do not use colloquial language, slang etc.;
- Try to avoid general statements, be specific;
- Boring title is not an option; try to come up with original title for your essay;
- Analytical essay does not mean you have to retell the plot of the book/movie/event. You should analyze the object of your paper, write about themes, motifs, ideas, conflicts, language, style and the like.
What to Start With?
IT is important to understand the objective, which you are to analyze before the writing itself. In addition to that, you are to give your arguments and examples from the text or movie.
If it is a school or college assignment, you will probably be given a topic of the analytical essay. However, you will need to decide on the topic on your own, and that is when it is better to know several tips on how to choose the right topic. Concentrate on the characters and what motivates them. Write about forces and their contribution to the battle outcome if you are to analyze the historical event.
After that, think about the thesis statement, as it is the half of the success. An excellent thesis statement helps you to develop your ideas logically, structurally and come up with the good conclusion. Try to make this statement sophisticated one. It also should stimulate the following arguments in order to write analytical essay of the high quality.
Do not forget to use evidences to support your arguments. They will show your knowledge of the text, understanding of the plot and make you more convincing.
Finally, write a sketch of the structure before the writing process. It will help you to stick to the certain size of the essay, the right structure and style.
The Structure of Analytical Essay
Introduction: this part of the essay should state the topic and give the background information about it. It should also contain the thesis statement, which you are to develop in the next paragraphs. Write it at the end of the introductive paragraph and develop it with your arguments and illustrate them with examples.
Body Paragraphs: analytical essay should have at least two paragraphs, and each of them has a specific structure. First of all, you are to write the topic sentence and tell what it is going to be about. Then, you should write supportive sentences, where you can express your opinion, write an example or write facts. Finally, write concluding sentence, which should repeat the idea of the topic sentence, but in other words.
Quoting: it means you take the part of the text and copy it to your work with the right punctuation. It is good to use quotes in order to support your arguments.
Conclusion: this part of your essay gives you an opportunity to write a short summary, to sum up your arguments and leave the space for further research.
It might be interesting for you
- Starting a website with no fuss. Read all about it here
- What a London Student Should Be Ready For?
- IT Management
- Clever inventions. The possibilities of the mind
- New challenges in taking GCSEs
- Cool internships: unusual positions, exiting assignments and unforgettable experience
- Annotated Bibliography
- Dropping out of college. Common practice