How to write a winning MBA essay
As a part of an application stage, candidates are required to present an MBA paper. The admission process is highly competitive and writing a great essay can make an applicant stand out among other candidates with a similar background. High demands and the importance of the situation put many students into the stressful condition. Here are some guidelines following which will help you write a winning essay.
Choose a topic wisely
Most graduate programs will assign a particular topic to write on. Yet, some business schools allow applicants to choose a subject of their own interest or pick a topic from a list.
If you have an opportunity to choose yourself what to write about, do this wisely.
- Select a topic, which can potentially demonstrate your best qualities. For example, an essay that displays your leadership qualities or the ability to effectively deal with obstacles can help you stand out from the crowd.
- Choose the subject, which you are interested in. The more you’re engaged with the topic emotionally, the higher the chances are that you can write a great essay. Your enthusiasm will help you create a quality piece of writing and will make the whole process enjoyable.
Don’t lose focus
Essay topics may vary from school to school but most common questions on the application are those that may help admission officers figure out whether you’re a good fit for the school.
The main purpose of an MBA essay is introducing yourself to the committee so the focus has to be on you. You can mention those people who you like and tell what you’ve learned from them but eventually, the story has to highlight your personality.
Common MBA essay questions
- What are your career goals (both short-term and long-term)?
- Tell about your personal achievement that has had a significant impact on your life.
- What are your motivations in pursuing an MBA?
- Discuss what you’ve learned from a non-academic personal failure.
- Who do you admire and why?
- What are you proud of?
- What are your regrets?
- How can you contribute to the business program?
General tips on writing an MBA essay
- Do a thorough research of the chosen school in order to get a good understanding of what they require.
- Set some time to reflect on your accomplishments and failures.
- Jot down your ideas in a freewriting or brainstorming way.
- Start writing as early as possible to meet the deadline.
- Use examples to support your words.
- Be creative and don’t be afraid to disclose personal things.
- Keep it specific, direct, and concise from start to finish.
- Use simple language since the idea behind the MBA essay is to market yourself rather than show how academically eloquent you may be.
- Avoid standard answers at all cost. Make sure that your essay is interesting and hooks the reader from the very beginning.
- Edit, proofread and ask your trusted people to read your essay and give you the objective feedback.
One of the most common mistakes is the failure to read the essay question properly. If you are asked to write about your personal goals, emphasizing what you want to achieve professionally will be out of place and will show you as an inattentive person. Ask your proofreader to guess the question, which you tried to answer in your essay. Adjust your paper accordingly if the reader found it difficult to understand what question you addressed.
Writing an essay is not as simple as it might seem. If you feel that your application might be at risk, you can always buy essay crafted by one of our professionals. Contact us now!